n Tuckahoe Notebook: Snickers

Monday, September 24, 2012

Snickers

Before I jumped off the high when I was a kid, a friend's older sister gave me some advice.  She told me to walk to the end of the board, close my eyes, think of my favorite candy and then jump.  After I willed myself up the ladder, I drug my heels to the edge of the board, closed my eyes and thought, "Skittles."

I spent the rest of the day racing up the ladder and careening off the high dive.  The advice my friend's sister gave me has held true throughout my life. The anticipation and expectations we create in our heads before a new experience are often the hardest part of that experience.

As a livestock farmer, you hardly see a day pass without something happening that you haven't seen before.

Today, I closed my eyes, sat down at the computer screen and thought, "Snickers."

No comments:

Post a Comment