n Tuckahoe Notebook: "Rainy afternoon in the barn"

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"Rainy afternoon in the barn"

                                                         "Milking 2/26"


Bailyn greets me with a moo.
She is angry about her overnight separation from Boaz
(her steer calf growing bigger by the minute)
even though this has been the pattern for weeks.
.

A little alfalfa hay and she quiets down into our routine.
I wash her teats
and work ointment onto them
and for a moment the barn smells of a pine forest.

Faint cherry smoke passes my awareness 
as milk begins to pulse into the pail.

Across the barn aisle, 
the chickens practice their innate archaelogy
Unearthing bugs, grubs, seeds
and the occasional piece of slate
(a clue into the barn's past, a tale I've heard from neighbors of a third story, a bell tower and a hurricane.)

Out in the yard, 
Sheep chew their cud.
Chew, chew, chew, chew, pause...
Wide eyed, their cheeks fill with regurgitated grass
as if they're pleasantly surprised.

After a while of zoning off into my thoughts and the rhythm of my hands,
the pail is full.

Inside the woodstove is warm,
the air is dry
and the dogs snore.

2 comments: