n Tuckahoe Notebook: The crosier and the mitre

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The crosier and the mitre

2/12/2013

The pope said he's going to retire.
I guess he feels old or not up to the job.
Somedays I feel like the pope.

Like the mitre weighs heavy on my neck
and my shoulders ache from lugging around the crosier.

And somedays I don't think I know enough to decide what to do
to take care of those who depend on me.

But I'm not old (yet)
and I couldn't, won't, can't
do anything other than what I do.

So I look around me
and see the sunset sitting in my side-view mirror
and the sheep in the hollow grazing below the cows
up on the hill
where the altostratus clouds soak in the last of the sun's rays,
and I'm energized
and ready for the storms or sunshine that tomorrow might bring.




No comments:

Post a Comment